Watch Out For Unsecured Truck Loads
- How many times have you been driving on the highway in South Florida behind a truck carrying a load?
- Have you ever thought that the load the truck is carrying could fall off onto the highway in front of you?
- Do you take it for granted that the truck in front of you has secured the load properly?
These are questions most people never think about because they assume the truck driver has total control of the truck and the load that they are carrying.
Florida truck accidents with unsecured or improperly secured loads can involve flat beds and trailers. Debris and other items can fall or blow out of the truck right onto your path. Items that fall from the truck can cause a deadly accident if it manages to hit your windshield or causes you to swerve or slam on your brakes, causing a domino effect resulting in multiple accidents.
Tanker trucks may spill the liquids they are carrying. Terrible South Florida truck accidents and auto accidents have occurred as a result of liquid spills, and toxic fumes.
Even with good intentions, the truck drivers that are traveling with secured loads are still at risk. As the truck travels, the load can shift. If the center of gravity is off by even a small amount, a truck could tip over and land on the highway or a vehicle traveling behind or beside the truck. It is an accident ready to happen that can be quite serious if not fatal.
Two Steps to Take to Ensure Your Safety
- Always be aware of your surroundings and the cargo a truck is carrying
- Keep a good distance between your vehicle and a South Florida truck that is carrying a load
It is Florida law to properly secure a load on the back of a truck while traveling. A driver of a truck and the truck owner can be held liable for an accident as the result of an unsecured load that caused an accident.
If you have been involved in an accident as a result of a South Florida truck’s load coming loose you need to contact an experienced truck accident attorney. Call qualified accident attorney David Benenfeld at 954-677-0155.