Close Menu
Fort Lauderdale Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Hablamos Español
Complimentary Consultations Available
Read Our Reviews

My Child Was Riding His Bike To School When He Got Hit By A Car Door. Can We Pursue A Claim Against That Driver?

More than likely you have a claim for damages against the driver of the car. It sounds like the driver may have parked his or her car and exited without looking for approaching bicyclists. When this happens, the bicyclist is considered a victim of being ‘doored’.

Sadly, bicyclists who are doored often flip over their handle bars, or are ejected from their bikes, or swerve into traffic. In either event, a Florida bicycle crash involving injuries is often inevitable in this type of situation. This is why negligent drivers should be held accountable for their careless actions.

In Florida, you can pursue a personal injury claim against the driver for your son’s medical expenses, property damages, pain and suffering, and other damages. However, if the driver doesn’t have enough insurance coverage or if your son failed to get the driver’s information, then your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits would kick in.

The biggest thing to do during this time is to make sure your son gets examined by a doctor within 14 days of his accident. By doing this, you should have access to your PIP benefits. However, if your son’s damages exceed your PIP benefits, you should speak with a lawyer about holding the driver accountable for your son’s bicycle accident and injuries.

To talk about your case in more detail and to make sure you are receiving the most compensation possible, contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld to speak with an experienced Broward County injury lawyer today at 954-677-0155 in a free consultation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin

© 2020 - 2024 Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A. All rights reserved.