Is It True That Mountain Bikers Are More Susceptible To Spinal Cord Injuries?
If you talk to any avid mountain biker, they will quickly relay to you the high value they place on the make and quality of their bike. That’s because mountain bikers understand the rigorous nature of the trail, and their most essential requirement is a reliable bike. Thousands of mountain bikes have been recalled because they have been identified as causing serious and life-threatening injuries, namely to the spinal cord.
The American Journal of Sports Medicine published a mountain bike accident report which revealed the nature of spinal cord injuries.
- 73% sustained a cervical injuries
- 17% sustained thoracic and lumbar injuries
- 40% sustained a spinal cord injuries
- 62% of spinal cord injuries required surgery
- Average length of stay is 16 days for spinal cord injury surgery
- 33% required ICU for spinal cord injury
- 2% remained on ventilator dependency at discharge
If you have suffered a serious injury in a South Florida bike accident, contact your Broward County Mountain Bicycle Accident Attorney to assist you achieving a successful claim for your injury. Call Law Office of David Benenfeld for a FREE consultation to help you with your claim. Call: 954-677-0155.