I Heard About A Child Dying After Choking On A Product. Is There Anything That Parents Can Do To Prevent Fatal Choking Injury?
Yes and no. Parents should always read warning hazard stickers to determine if a child should or shouldn’t be allowed to play with a toy or item. However, sometimes manufacturers of toys and other children’s products don’t test their products thoroughly and bring their products to the market without the correct warning stickers. When this happens, there is really nothing a parent could have done to prevent a choking injury or fatality from occurring.
Sadly, many children in Florida and nationwide have died as a result of dangerous and defective products or manufacturers failing to warn of hidden dangers. When this happens, parents can file lawsuits against the manufacturers responsible. But because no amount of money can ever bring back a child, parents should consider doing the following things in order to prevent a possible choking injury in Florida.
- Always think of the shape and size of objects
- Pay attention to choking hazard warnings
- Make sure you know CPR
- Ensure anyone watching your children understand the choking hazards and know what to do if choking occurs
- Supervise children when eating
- Children shouldn’t be playing while eating and should be sitting up straight
- Pay attention to the foods, toys, and household items that could pose a choking hazard
- Keep a close eye on small children playing with crayons
- Don’t let children play with toys or other items that are labeled with choking hazard warning stickers
- Never allow your child to play with marbles, coins, and button type batteries
- Be aware of the dangers of marker caps, erasers, small balls, screws, earrings, rings, small stones, safety pins, crayons, latex balloons, tiny figures, and toys with small parts
Even when monitoring children and doing everything right, all it takes is for one dangerous toy or household item to cause a child to choke. If your child suffered fatal injuries as a result of a dangerous or defective product, please call the Law Office of David Benenfeld. You can speak with a knowledgeable South Florida wrongful death lawyer in a free consultation by dialing 954-677-0155 today.