Close Menu
Fort Lauderdale Workers' Compensation Lawyer
Hablamos Español
Complimentary Consultations Available
Read Our Reviews
Fort Lauderdale Workers' Compensation Lawyer > Blog > Social Security Disability Insurance > Epilepsy Causes, Symptoms, And Social Security Benefits In Florida

Epilepsy Causes, Symptoms, And Social Security Benefits In Florida

When electrical signals within the brain start to surge and misfire, an epileptic seizure may develop. The term epilepsy covers a wide range of 20 seizure disorders. Surprisingly, everyone will most likely experience having a seizure once during the course of their lifetime. However, only certain types of seizure disorders involve convulsions.

Epilepsy Symptoms: lasting seconds or several minutes

  • muscle spasms
  • mental confusion
  • loss of consciousness
  • uncontrolled/aimless body movements
  • slight twitching
  • blank spells
  • staring

Epilepsy Causes

Almost 70% of epileptic seizures do not have any known cause. For the remaining 30% of seizure episodes, known causes include head trauma, brain tumor, stroke, infection, and lead or alcohol poisoning. Although medical research hasn’t proved epilepsy to be hereditary, there does appear to be certain unique brain patterns common within families with seizure disorders. It appears that almost half of epilepsy cases are diagnosed before the age of 25 and the other half seem to surface after the age of 60.

Getting More Help

People who have a seizure disorder know the value of having caring individuals respond to them during an episode. They also soon realize they need to take their prescribed medications without any missed dosages. Unfortunately, often people with epilepsy realize that even while taking proper precautions and preventions, the seizures begin to take a toll on their daily lives, specifically their ability to work.

South Florida residents diagnosed with a seizure disorder, or specifically epilepsy, may find it comforting to know that Social Security disability benefits are available to individuals.  If a patient can provide proof that they are taking their prescribed medications without fault and provide written testimony of individuals that witness the seizures, then they are eligible for disability benefits.

Social Security will need to determine if in fact the seizure disorder is impacting the individual’s ability to work. This part of the process can be very difficult to prove. In this case, it will be helpful for a qualified Broward County disability attorney to help process your case.

If you have epilepsy or seizure disorder and are unable to work, you may be eligible for Social Security benefits in South Florida.

Contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld for a free legal consultation to determine if you have a case. Call 954-677-0155.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin

© 2020 - 2024 Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A. All rights reserved.

Skip to content